I want to bet that certain stocks will decline in price, but they have no options and there are insufficient shares available for a short sale according to my broker. Do I have any other way to take advantage of a potential decline in these stocks’ prices?

  • 3
    Well you'd have to find someone to take the other side of that bet which may be the root problem...
    – D Stanley
    Jun 18, 2020 at 20:22
  • Any ideas on how to find such parties?
    – ak87
    Jun 18, 2020 at 20:35
  • 1
    @ak87 If you are looking to short the stock, I would try a different broker. I think there is a good chance they will be able to help you.
    – Bob
    Jun 19, 2020 at 1:45
  • As B.B. explains, simply another broker may do it easily. However if that is NOT the case, the very simple answer is: "No". You can not.
    – Fattie
    Nov 16, 2020 at 15:09

1 Answer 1


If your stock does not offer options then you can check with other brokers to see if they have hard-to-borrow shares available. That's a long shot but still a possibility.

Another possibility is an OTC agreement with a counterparty but this is only available for big players since the intermediary is usually an investment bank or similar.

  • And to clarify, 'big players' in this case is measured in millions and billions, not hundreds and thousands. Jun 20, 2020 at 5:47

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .