I am a non-resident alien. I am in a similar situation as described here - How to determine the tax withhold for remote work? To quickly summarize, my official address of residence is in state A, I am temporarily working remotely from state B, and my company is located in state C.

My company has asked me to fill out the W-4 form. What address should be entered in the W-4 form for federal taxes? My company is aware that I'm working remotely from state B. However, I think that the correct address to be entered would be that of state A?

  • The address on the Federal W-4 doesn't make much difference. Your question should be which state version of the w-4 should you fill out. Your address on the federal W-4 is where you live, not where you work. May 29, 2020 at 2:41
  • I figured out the part about state taxes. Thanks!
    – V-Red
    May 29, 2020 at 3:21

1 Answer 1


The address of the Federal W-4 is the address that payroll will be using if they send a paper copy of your W-2. It plays no other role in the tax system.

The companies I have worked for send a reminder email to make sure the address information on the W-2 is correct or the paper copy of the W-2 might not get there. Many years ago this message was added as a note on a late in the year pay stub.

Of course some companies only distribute the W-2 electronically or in the case of a small business they may distribute it at the place of work. Delivering it in person might not work for a company with remote workers or multiple locations.

I have no idea which address will be used if the state and federal W-4 disagree.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.