I'm running Gnucash 3.8b+(2019-12-29). If there's a way to change a transaction description throughout an account, I can't find it. The internet isn't yielding up any interesting suggestions, either. Is there a way to do it?
By default, GnuCash maintains your data in XML format, and stores it as a compressed file with a .gnucash suffix. You can get your data into editable form by just uncompressing it first.
- Make sure that you have a good backup of your data file :
- Copy your data file and give it a .gz suffix :
- Use a suitable compression utility to uncompress your data file :
- Use a suitable text editor to edit only those lines of the data file that you absolutely need to. In your case you can use a global find/replace to change ABC Inc to DEF Inc throughout the file.
- Save the edited XML file with no filename extension :
- Open GnuCash, and use the File/Open menu to open your modified datafile. GnuCash will quite happily open the uncompressed file.
- Use File/Save As to ensure that your edited data file gets stored "normally" (compressed, and with a .gnucash filename extension).
Please note that directly editing the XML file is not officially encouraged - but it should work if you are careful. Keep a backup!