If a UK higher rate taxpayer makes payments into a SIPP, and then completes a tax self-assessment form, how will the government return the money? Does it pay it to a person's bank account? Into their pension, or something else?

2 Answers 2


I get my tax refunds paid direct into my bank account. They certainly won’t be paid into your pension.


The one time I did it they sent me a cheque. These days you may be able to claim online.

Your P800 will tell you if you can claim your refund online.

Any payments into your pension you'd have to arrange yourself, keeping in mind your annual contribution limit.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .