I am a student on a F-1 visa (nonresident alien), working with a Teaching Assist at my University. I did my 2019 taxes using Sprintax with the information from my form W-2 and I got a refund of $609 (that what it shows the form 1040-NR-EZ I sent to IRS).

After mailing the documentation to IRS, my University sent me the form 1042-S that apparently I was supposed to use when doing my taxes, but I didn't. After updating the information from this form, now my refund is less, so I owe $85.

What I should do? I should wait for IRS to notify me that I am missing a document (I do not know if they do that) or I should fill an amendment 1040X form?

I'd appreciate any help,

  • Do you mean you filed the return claiming a refund of $609, or you actually received it? Yes, you should amend, using 1040X, but it's best if they've completed processing the original first; given this year they've extended the deadline for essentially everything to July, if you haven't received the refund I would wait until you do to avoid any possible confusion. You can wait for their notice, and maybe save a little postage, but that probably won't come until fall matching season maybe Oct-Dec, which is likely to be less convenient. Commented Apr 19, 2020 at 9:00
  • Thanks for your message, Dave. No, I did not receive any money yet, I just send the forms to IRS the last week stating that my refund would be $609, but it is actually less because I missed that document 1042-S... so do you suggest I should wait for the refund and then send the amend (form 1040X) before 15th July? Thank you. Commented Apr 20, 2020 at 15:13
  • Exactly. Or if you want, use sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp . Once you either receive your refund or see it has been approved, you know they processed the original return, and then you can safely send the amended return. Commented Apr 21, 2020 at 6:36
  • Ok, that sounds good! One more question: I am reading about that form 1040X and I am not sure if I have to fill out those columns A,B and C or not. The instructions state something like To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, we just need to fill the part III. I do not know if you get my point but it seems pretty confusing to fill out this 1040X form. If you have any information on how I should fill out the 1040X please let me know. Thank you so much. Commented Apr 24, 2020 at 15:28
  • Yes, per irs.gov/instructions/i1040x#idm140284808146256 for amendment of, or to or from, nonresident, you don't fill out part I or II. Just put in part III a brief explanation (maybe "failed to include 1042-S from $payor") and attach the corrected return, marked 'Amended' at the top, and in front attach the fililng copy of the new 1042-S (should be copy A, I think). (Amending a resident return is often more tedious -- you could legitimately rejoice at your good fortune! Okay, not all that good.) Commented Apr 27, 2020 at 6:09


You must log in to answer this question.