The IRS site sends to a 3rd party website.

Is there a different way for someone not filing income tax to provide their information to the IRS? (Not necessarily online.)

While we're at it, is there a way for someone who does need to file a 1040 to do it online on the IRS site without the need for a 3rd party? (There should.)

  • It depends on how you define "3rd party". Free File Fillable Forms is the only official IRS recommended way of e-filing taxes for free for people with incomes above $69,000. That's pretty official for me. In fact, the user's guide and help for Free File Fillable Forms are both provided directly by the IRS, not by a company.
    – user102008
    Apr 15, 2020 at 22:19

1 Answer 1


If you don't want to send your information via third parties, the only way is to file a tax return using paper forms, which you can download from the IRS web site. Return processing will be slower, so you'll have to wait longer for your stimulus payment. Do enter your direct deposit information on the tax return, even if you don't owe any money, so the IRS will be able to send your stimulus electronically.

I agree, it should be possible to file directly on the IRS site, but H&R Block and TurboTax have spent millions to lobby your congressmen and senators.

  • 1
    "the IRS will not compete with the private sector by providing free on-line tax preparation and filing services to taxpayers" (federal register, 2002) ; written into law HR 1957 (2019), sec 1102(a)(1) Apr 15, 2020 at 21:29

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .