A really simple question.

What is the correct term to describe (shares owned * share value) ?

I do not mean market capitalization, I mean if I as an individual person multiply shares owned * individual share value I will get a number. What is that number referred to in finance? equity? Capitalization? Something else? Thank you!

  • Welcome to the site, Dave! Good first question. We hope you enjoy your stay here. :) – ChrisInEdmonton Nov 26 '11 at 13:34

This is typically referred to as the "market value" of your holdings--it is the revenue you would generate if you sold your holdings at that moment (less any transaction costs, of course)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.