My French sister in law has money in an account in France (Paris) She needs to move that money to Denver, Colorado. I live in Dallas, Texas. Would it be easier for her to travel to Dallas and let me help her get the money?

  • 1
    Be aware that if currency worth more than US $10k is brought into the US, it must be declared at the entry point. There is no prohibition against bringing in any amount (or any tax or Customs duty to be paid) but a declaration is needed. Why doesn’t your sister-in-law just use regular banking channels to transfer the money? – Dilip Sarwate Mar 14 at 16:16
  • Depends on how much money we're talking about. For small amounts - a few hundred dollars at a time, I would just use an ATM. When I finally closed the account, the bank mailed me a check for a few thousand. – jamesqf Mar 14 at 18:34
  • 1
    Can't she wire the money to you electronically and not physically bring it at all? – Vality Mar 14 at 20:15
  • If the money’s in France, how does her going away from France let you help her get the money? – Lawrence Mar 15 at 5:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.