I am a H1B temporary worker in the united states at the moment. Last year, there was a pilot TV series filming in our apartment of residence which resulted in some inconvenience for me as a resident. The corresponding firm compensated me with 600$ accordingly and sent me a 1099 MISC filled in BOX-7(600$).

I just wanted to understand if this is legal as a H1B worker. Please advice on the following.

If this is not legal, what should be my next steps before filing my taxes ?

  1. How do I cancel the payment and return the money ?

  2. Is it legal and possible to re purpose the payment for a 1099 MISC under a different category that legal explains the compensation ?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.