I'm a non-U.S. citizen who was on an F1 Visa that paid FICA Taxes as a Resident years 5-6 in the US.My OPT portion of the visa ended and I permanently returned to the UK. Can I claim back the FICA taxes I paid since I no longer have a visa to live or work in the US?

  • 1
    To make the question clearer, could you elaborate on why you think you'd be able to reclaim taxes paid previously?
    – Daniel
    Mar 3, 2020 at 23:19

1 Answer 1


After five years on an F-1 visa, you become a resident alien. At that point there is no longer an exemption from FICA, unless employment is on-campus. (The on-campus FICA exemption applies to all students, not just those on visas.)

Not living or working in the USA does not entitle you to a refund of FICA taxes.

Specifics from the IRS are here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-student-liability-for-social-security-and-medicare-taxes

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.