I'm very confused about this Hobby Business Tax thing. I want to open an Etsy shop to start selling my photo prints online. I wouldn't be doing the printing, Whitewall would, but I would be selling my own photos.

Will I need to register as a sole trader? If so, will this affect the tax I pay on my full-time job too even if I don't sell many or even any in a month? I am very unlikely to be earning more than £1000 a year from this.

1 Answer 1


You don’t need to register with HMRC if your total income from this business (not profit but income) is under £1,000 per year, since there are no pretty much no circumstances in which this could give rise to any tax liability. See here for more details.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .