I worked as a full-time employee in the United Kingdom between January 2019 and June 2019. I noticed that the income tax and national insurance fees I paid for January-March were much, much lower than the ones I paid for April-June.

My employer told me that this is because the PAYE system calculates the withheld tax on a per annum basis. That is, they paid my monthly taxes expecting to be employed at their company for the rest of the tax year.

Should I file a tax refund? I am now a sole trader and will file a Self Assessment report, so I am not sure how I should handle this deduction claim.


Your self-employment income will also contribute to your total taxable income for the tax year 2019-2020, so the PAYE withholding will probably produce roughly the right result anyway.

Given you will have to file a Self Assessment return anyway, you will need to include your employment income from April-June 2019 (you should have a P45 from your employer to do this with) so your final tax bill will be calculated correctly.

You shouldn't expect any substantial refund attributable to that period.

| improve this answer | |
  • Then I suppose there are two cases: (1) my tax bill is below PAYE, in which case I will file a tax refund OR (2) my tax below is over PAYE, in which case I will have to make a further payment. – Paul Razvan Berg Feb 9 at 19:13
  • 1
    @PaulRazvanBerg correct, but if you file a Self Assessment return it'll sort itself out either way. Given you won't be paying tax on your self-employed income until that point, I'd guess you will have more tax to pay. It's unlikely 3 months of PAYE withholding will cover a full year's tax bill. – GS - Apologise to Monica Feb 9 at 19:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.