For 2020, I will have my income split between company A and company B. Between the two jobs, my income will exceed the limit of $137,700, but it will not exceed it for either specific job.

With that said, I am curious if I can be refunded the overage when I file my taxes in 2021?

2 Answers 2


Yes. According to the Social Security Administration, you can request a refund of the excess withholding in that case. SSA Benefits Planner

Topic #608 at the IRS site gives information about this and directs you to use Form 843. Specific instructions are covered in IRS Publication 505. The credit is claimed on form 1040 line 72. (Note that the 2020 versions aren't published yet.)

  • For the 2018 Form 1040, it is on Schedule 5 line 72. For the 2019 Form 1040, it is on Schedule 3 line 11.
    – user102008
    Commented Jan 30, 2020 at 19:43

Yes, this will be calculated when you do your 2020 taxes and the amount applied to the tax due. If the tax paid exceeds the amount due, then you will receive a refund.

You must log in to answer this question.