I'm a minor (17) who is considering using my birthright to be recognized as a Russian citizen, as my mother is one. If I apply as a minor this late, will I have to worry about taxes if I reside in the US?


You're in luck - only 2 countries are regressive enough to tax you based on your citizenship regardless of where you live / where you earn your income, and you're in one of them. Apart from the US, only Eritrea taxes based on citizenship.

  • Doesn't sound very lucky. – JohnFx Jan 17 at 21:47
  • 1
    Based on citizenship as in they will tax regardless of residency? For example, if I lived in Russia, the US will still be able to tax me, but not the other way around, correct? – Andrew Fluck Jan 17 at 23:31
  • @AndrewFluck Correct. [With some exceptions - for example if you have Russian-sourced income, such as from consulting work you still do in Russia, then yes, you could be taxed on that income in Russia, even if you live in the US]. Although if you lived in Russia as a US citizen, your Russian-sourced income, such as a regular job in Russia, would be taxed in Russia first, then the US, and [to be simplistic] you would be able to reduce your US taxes owing by claiming your Russian taxes paid as 'foreign tax credits'. – Grade 'Eh' Bacon Jan 19 at 17:16
  • Okay, that makes a lot of sense, thank you for clarifying further! – Andrew Fluck Jan 19 at 19:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.