I got a intracompany transfer and I'll be living in the US for a couple years so I'm selling my apartment in my home country and planning to move the funds to the US to maybe see if it's convenient to buy a flat there. Is there some notification or something I should do before the bank transfer?



You need to be sure that you pay appropriate taxes due in your home country on the sale proceeds from selling your flat in your home country; else your home country may have objections to your proposed transfer of the sale proceeds to the US. You will, of course, need to establish a bank account in the US to receive the money which will need you to have a TaxPayer ID Number in the US. This will typically be a Social Security Number which your company will help you to get since you will continue to be an employee of the same company; just working (and getting paid) in the US instead of your home country. Most countries have tax treaties or double-taxation-avoidance-agreements with the US and this will affect your taxes in the US and in your home country.

  • Thanks Dilip! I know how to handle the taxes at home but I was wondering if the US may want or need a notice before I transfer. – Luis Dec 1 '19 at 18:57
  • @Luis Just use a standard wire-transfer service to transfer the money from your savings account in your home country to the US instead of bringing a satchel full of cash when you come to the US, It is not illegal to bring cash to the US but if the cash is worth more than US $10K, you need to fill out a form for the US Customs telling them you are bringing in lots of cash. The harder part would be finding a bank that will accept the satchelful of cash as a deposit to start your new account. So, come to the US, set up your US account, and then transfer the bulk of the money via wire transfer. – Dilip Sarwate Dec 2 '19 at 0:00
  • Thanks Dilip. I don’t pretend to use cash but my idea was to transfer bank to bank. Is there a reason I should use any kind of 3rd party service? – Luis Dec 2 '19 at 1:09
  • My question was more about the transfer. Won’t I get any inquiry from the bank and/or IRS due to the amount? I would like to be prepared in advance to comply with any legal requirement. Specially if there is any form or thing I should present before transferring the money to the US – Luis Dec 2 '19 at 1:11
  • may you have any hint? Thanks!! – Luis Dec 20 '19 at 21:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.