Tax Planning for You and Your Family 2019 by KPMG. p 153.
10.1.1 Non-taxable employment benefits
Certain employment benefits are not taxable, even though many of them are deductible expenses to the employer. The government is thus offering an incentive to employers to provide these benefits, since the after-tax returns are greater than straight salary. Non-taxable benefits include:
• Contributions to a registered pension plan (the pension is taxable when received—see 3.5.1)
• Contributions to a group sickness or accident insurance plan
• Contributions to a “private health services plan”, such as those covering drugs, medical expenses and hospital charges not covered by public health insurance, and dental fees (except for Quebec purposes—see 17.10.2)
p 154 [Let me know if you want me list whole page of bullets]
• All or a portion of the cost of free or subsidized school services for your children (for example, if the services are provided in a remote area)
• Contributions to a supplementary unemployment benefit plan
p 155. I omit six benefits at page top.
Note that where your employer deducts its contributions to a sickness or accident insurance plan, a disability insurance plan or an income maintenance insurance plan, any benefits you receive from the insurance will be taxable (but reduced by your own premium payments to the plan).
Ask your employer to make use of the nontaxable benefits outlined above as much as possible. If you have an employment benefit package where you and the employer share the costs, try to have the cost-sharing reallocated so your employer pays for all the non-taxable benefits and you pay for the benefits that are taxable if your employer pays them. In many cases, without changing the cost to your employer, you can reduce your tax burden this way.
Don't you want reverse? Isn't non-taxable supposed to be swapped with *taxable** in that sentence?
Isn't employer supposed to pay for all TAXABLE benefits so that you aren't taxed? Wouldn't you prefer paying all NON-TAXABLE benefits because you don't pay tax?