This is a question about Double-Entry Bookkeeping. I am having a hard time correctly recording the fact that due to shared cleaning fees I owe the subleasee less than the deposit he gave me.
These are the actual events:
- I rented an apartment and put down $1000 in deposit.
- Then I sublet it, and received a $500 deposit.
- Then the lease ended and we got charged $200 in cleaning fees, which we agreed to split 50/50.
- I received $800 from the landlord
- I paid the subleasee $400.
How should I record this to reflect that my liability towards him decreased by the amount of the cleaning fees?