So, about a year ago some people came in and changed the Electric and Gas meters to Pay as you go meters because the landlord hadn't paid the bills. Since my contract was an all-inclusive contract that means (I think) they (the Landlord/Property managers) broke the contract (which by definition, can't be all-inclusive if I have to pay for something that's supposed to be included, separately), they (the Landlord/Property managers) are also still getting people to sign all-inclusive contracts!

Now I didn't do anything about this at the time because of the hassle involved in dealing with this & also trying to find a new place and anything else.

My initial year contract is over and I'm now on just a rolling contract, which means they may try to increase the price.

So I'm wondering, what are my options should say the Landlord/Property managers put the rent up?

But also what are my options in general?

  • 1
    Without a contract, I suspect the landlord can raise the rent, and you are free to either accept the increase or move, just as you are free to move at any time without having to pay a penalty for leaving early. – chepner Oct 21 '19 at 18:51
  • I suggest taking out the part about is it a single or double. It’s irrelevant. Your question seems to be the first paragraph, and is a good one. What they can do with the rent during the month to month phase is a separate Q. – Damila Oct 21 '19 at 20:59
  • 1
    Try harder to find a new place. One which doesn't have an abusive landlord. – Simon B Oct 21 '19 at 22:22
  • Did you try to get in touch with Citizens Advice ? They deal with such issues and might be able to advise you legally. – DumbCoder Oct 22 '19 at 8:27
  • 3
    @chepner: he does have a contract. Once the fixed term is over, the contract continues on the same terms, but month-to-month (this is tagged UK, so I'm assuming it's an assured shorthold tenancy). – Steve Melnikoff Oct 22 '19 at 20:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.