If I live in another state in USA and either still pay rent or mortgage, but rent an apartment in Silicon Valley and work there to earn money as a business (1099 or S-Corp), then can't I deduct that rent from my income for taxes?

Or what if I lived in another country and either still pay rent or mortgage over there, and come to Silicon Valley and rent an apartment, then can't I deduct that rent from my income?

It sounds logical that if I do this as a business, then the rent should be deductible. Say, if the rent is $3000 or $4000, vs if I can get a Motel 6 room for $80 / day and I rent it for $2400 per month, then the $2400 is deductible?


You may be able to deduct some of it. However, it is limited to the portion of the apartment that is used exclusively for work.


  • 2
    I would highlight "exclusively" as well as it is a critical distinction. For example - you can't deduct the bedroom as a business expense just because it's in an_area_ where you work. – D Stanley Sep 23 '19 at 15:24
  • so what if I just live in a motel? Then it is 100% deductible? What if it is Airbnb? – nonopolarity Sep 24 '19 at 5:42
  • It is great that you are trying to plan ahead. Would you be using the motel exclusively for work or would you be using it for other purposes? I suggest you work with a tax professional and read the link I shared from the IRS website. – Charles Fox Sep 24 '19 at 15:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.