If I live in another state in USA and either still pay rent or mortgage, but rent an apartment in Silicon Valley and work there to earn money as a business (1099 or S-Corp), then can't I deduct that rent from my income for taxes?

Or what if I lived in another country and either still pay rent or mortgage over there, and come to Silicon Valley and rent an apartment, then can't I deduct that rent from my income?

It sounds logical that if I do this as a business, then the rent should be deductible. Say, if the rent is $3000 or $4000, vs if I can get a Motel 6 room for $80 / day and I rent it for $2400 per month, then the $2400 is deductible?

1 Answer 1


You may be able to deduct some of it. However, it is limited to the portion of the apartment that is used exclusively for work.


  • 2
    I would highlight "exclusively" as well as it is a critical distinction. For example - you can't deduct the bedroom as a business expense just because it's in an_area_ where you work.
    – D Stanley
    Commented Sep 23, 2019 at 15:24
  • so what if I just live in a motel? Then it is 100% deductible? What if it is Airbnb? Commented Sep 24, 2019 at 5:42
  • It is great that you are trying to plan ahead. Would you be using the motel exclusively for work or would you be using it for other purposes? I suggest you work with a tax professional and read the link I shared from the IRS website. Commented Sep 24, 2019 at 15:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .