Let's say I want to place a bet on the success of an economically independent England. How would an American investor go about buying into the FTSE 100 (or similar) through ETrade, Vanguard, or Fidelity?

There does not seem to be an easy way to do this.

  • As someone in the UK, almost all documents I've seen about (direct) investing in stocks/shares contain words that boil down to "_If you're a US person... go away" :-). I suspect (but not currently sure enough to make an answer) that this is in large part down to rules/regulations (FINBAR??) from the SEC/IRS that would impose too-complicated-to-bother-with reporting / regulatory requirements should such products be offered to US citizens... slightly similar (although in reverse) to Buying an US ETF from Europe using Interactive Brokers.
    – TripeHound
    Sep 5 '19 at 8:20
  • The justETF page Top FTSE 100 ETFs may help (although I don't know that they are available to the US).
    – TripeHound
    Sep 5 '19 at 8:21
  • 1
    I don't know anything about them but ETFdb lists VGK (Vanguard) and FLGB (Franklin) as US ETFs that track the FTSE. Sep 5 '19 at 12:44
  • @BobBaerker That is a good idea. You should post it as an answer to the question. Sep 5 '19 at 12:47
  • Nitpicks: 1) England has just about 0 chance to be independent, you likely mean the UK, or Britain depending on the terms of brexit. 2) Brexit is still very much up in the air so it might not happen.
    – xyious
    Sep 6 '19 at 14:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.