I want to obtain an ITIN number to get a credit card / open bank account in the US. I know, IRS does not issue this number unless for tax reporting purposes. I visit the US from time to time on a visitor visa and does not have any income there.

Can I just file a zero tax form 1040-NR-EZ along with W-7 and get the ITIN number legally this way?

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 1
    have you talked to bank? There are ways to open account while being tax resident overseas – aaaaa says reinstate Monica Aug 23 '19 at 14:12
  • Will the bank account be connected with a US "trade or business"? If not, you would not owe tax on interest as an NRA, so the bank shouldn't need an ITIN for you. – nanoman Aug 23 '19 at 14:22
  • @aaaaaa, I have an account already and it's such pain without SSN/ITIN to use US banking in general, many features are not available. – MiloserdOFF Aug 23 '19 at 14:30
  • @nanoman, yet almost every bank asks it for identification purposes – MiloserdOFF Aug 23 '19 at 14:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.