I'm a UK citizen. Some time ago, I worked for a company based in New Zealand. The company went public on NZX and I ended up with some shares.

I have never been to New Zealand and don't have any bank accounts, etc. outside of the UK. I've looked at some UK based trading platforms/stock brokers, but they don't seem to offer the ability to trade shares listed on NZX.

How would I go about selling these shares? Also, would I be liable to pay tax in NZ?

  • 2
    How do you hold these shares if not for a broker? As actual paper certificates? – Vality Aug 20 at 22:24
  • Do you mean that you had shares in the company before it went public? Or did you have options for stock that you exercised when it went public? Who did you communicate with about that? – Henning Makholm Aug 21 at 0:40
  • You shouldn't be liable for any tax, as there's no capital gains tax in New Zealand. – Rupert Morrish Aug 21 at 4:01
  • These are "normal" shares allocated when the company went public (not previously held prior to that). I have a "Common Shareholder Number" and "Faster Identification Number". – Matt Aug 21 at 8:20
  • did you check if the company offers any trading option or allows to transfer shares ? – Abs Sep 30 at 20:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.