I moved from NY to a tax-free state in December of 2018. In January of 2019, I received a cash bonus from my employer. Despite not living in NY anymore, the company withheld NY state income taxes for that bonus. The argument is likely that the bonus was for services in 2018, even though it was not paid until 2019. Will I be able to file for a refund from NY for that tax that was withheld?

  • where was the work done that triggered the bonus? – mhoran_psprep Aug 16 '19 at 19:26
  • Worked in NYC in 2018, bonus was paid in January of 2019 (could argue it was for work done in 2018, but its not like its perfectly clear). Did not switch companies, so working for same company in new state. – Sc F Aug 16 '19 at 19:55
  • 6
    Normally the tax date is the date the payment was made, not the date the work was done. – DJClayworth Aug 16 '19 at 20:28
  • 2
    Most states can tax your income if you live or work in the state. That fact that you moved doesn't change the fact that you work in NY. – chepner Aug 16 '19 at 21:08
  • To rephrase what chepner said, a nonresident of a state would generally still have to pay that state's taxes on income from that state. – user102008 Aug 18 '19 at 18:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.