I am an F1 student <5 years in the USA and am eligible for FICA refunds.

I contacted my company and told them that I will be requesting the IRS for the FICA refund as I was very close to the last date for filing tax returns and there wasn't enough time. They accepted and I sent my returns to IRS. However, 6 weeks later, I received a check from my company with the refund amount and the corrected W2c document, even though I had asked them not to. Now that I have obtained the refund from the company, what should I do? Do I need to send an amendment to the IRS? Note- IRS has NOT sent me a FICA refund yet.

  • 1
    "Do I need to send an amendment to the IRS?" Probably. But I'd wait for the IRS check, or some other communication from them.
    – RonJohn
    Jun 26, 2019 at 21:32
  • Thanks for the reply! Any idea about how long they usually take to communicate? Tried calling the IRS but didn't get through!
    – sanchkin
    Jun 27, 2019 at 22:36
  • Eight weeks should be long enough.
    – RonJohn
    Jun 28, 2019 at 2:34
  • Thank you! I'll report back if I get anything.
    – sanchkin
    Jun 29, 2019 at 3:17


You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .