So I was talking to a guy online & then we exchanged numbers. After a while he said he had got me something as a gift & would like to post it, so I gave him my postal address After I gave it, he said that the gift was intact $30k USD! I said I cannot accept such a gift & he said no I deserve it, just donate 10% to a charitable organisation then keep the rest for myself What should I do? I don't want this money (if it comes) & aren't there laws regarding receiving such massive monetary gifts?!

  • But I didn't give bank acc info, just my postal address?
    – Lauren_sw
    Jun 26, 2019 at 18:06
  • 4
    Pick essentially any of the other scam questions then. A stranger wants to send you $X in a manner that's reversible, you will then send a fraction of $X to a third party in a manner that's not reversible. Eventually the first transfer will be reversed and you're personally liable for the second one. It's all the same scam with slight variation. Yes it's a scam (you already knew that) and scams/fraud is illegal (you knew that too).
    – quid
    Jun 26, 2019 at 18:08
  • 1
    Most advisable is don't ever touch the money. IF you receive a check, tear it up.
    – quid
    Jun 26, 2019 at 18:11
  • 2
    Out of curiosity, did they give you a specific charity to send 10% to or merely ask you to donate it to any charity you liked? If it was a specific one it is likely a scam where they have you send it (to an org run by themselves) then the check you received will bounce after a delay and you will be out of the money you sent on. If they said to donate to any charity you like I am not sure what the scam could be...
    – Vality
    Jun 26, 2019 at 18:44
  • 5
    @Lauren_sw he is making it sound like it's cash, but it won't be. It will be a fake check or money order, or a delivery by a fake DHL driver who insists that you have to pay him the customs duties, or any other number of scams.
    – stannius
    Jun 26, 2019 at 21:18

1 Answer 1


This is a scam, like many others linked or related to this question. Cease contact with him immediately.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .