In the scenario where I'm living in the UK and working remotely for a Swiss company. Who should I pay income tax to?

I would be declared self employed in the UK.


To HMRC. You pay tax in your tax domicile (i.e. where you more or less permanently reside) – in this case, the UK.

Rules are, of course, a little more nuanced than that. For example, if you don't bring the money back into the UK at all (e.g. if you get paid by your Swiss employer into a Swiss bank account), the situation may change.

The guidelines for whether your foreign income doesn’t need to be subject to UK tax are here:


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.