If a US citizen moves to Mexico, can he/she live in a town near the border, maintain his/her coverage of Medicare and come to the US for medical care? He/she would want his medical care to be paid for by Medicare. Would this work?


If you are a US citizen, Medicare will pay for services within the US and its territories. So there should be no problem unless you need emergency care in Mexico because:

Some of the Medigap plans offer travel emergency coverage (80%) but usually only for the first 60 days of a trip. Some pay nothing.

Some Medicare Advantage plans provide coverage benefits for health care costs when traveling outside the United States.

The best advice that I could offer is to contact Medicare and based on what you have (Traditional Medicare? Medigap? Medicare Advantage?), ask what your coverage is.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.