I'm on a student visa in the MA, US. This year(2019) it was my first time filing for tax as I got the part-time job on-campus in my university. I submitted the tax form to a person who came to my university on April's end. He didn't charge me for the process. But, it's been more than a month and I haven't received the money which I was expected to get from tax return. Also, that person is not responding to my emails and phone calls. I don't owe any money to the government instead, I'm expected to receive money after I file the tax. Is there any way I can get that money at this time? Or is it too late? Any help will be appreciated.

  • 1
    What does Where's my refund? page say?
    – void_ptr
    Jun 16 '19 at 4:20
  • 1
    Neither - you enter the federal refund amount that you expect.
    – void_ptr
    Jun 16 '19 at 4:48
  • 9
    who is "a person who came to my university on April's end"? was this a service the university offered? what paperwork did they leave with you? Jun 16 '19 at 12:23
  • 4
    You say I'm on a student... - did you mean I'm a student or I'm on a student visa (or something else)?
    – yoozer8
    Jun 16 '19 at 13:17
  • 3
    Do you have a copy of your tax return?
    – Hart CO
    Jun 16 '19 at 14:33

You definitely need to find out what 'that person' ever did or didn't do. Nobody here can tell you that.

  • Maybe he never filed your taxes
  • Maybe he didn't file your taxes yet because he was too busy
  • Maybe he is a scammer and took your refund and left
  • Maybe he filed and mistyped your SSN / ITIN, or the amount.
  • Maybe he filed late and the processing hasn't yet started ("where's my refund" only works about a week after successfully filing)
  • 1
    Ultimately if the OP can't get ahold of this person, and the automated "where's my refund?" tool isn't helping, the next step seems to be contacting the IRS via phone or in writing.
    – dwizum
    Jun 17 '19 at 13:50
  • I checked on "where's my refund" and it gives me the message "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." In what scenarios I would get this message? Jun 18 '19 at 1:00
  • 1
    When you mistyped it, when the filer mistyped it, or when it was never filed. You can only use that to check for really filed taxes
    – Aganju
    Jun 18 '19 at 8:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.