I'm a UK citizen who moved to the US (California) a few years ago with a Green Card. This year I decided to move back home, so I quit my job and started freelancing, so I have an ongoing income source after I move back. I'm not moving back for a few months though, so I will need my own health insurance between now and then.

Up until now I have always had health insurance through my employer so I had no experience with purchasing it privately. The situation is made more complex by the fact that I only need it for ~3 months (I'm not sure if most healthcare plans have a minimum duration?). I looked at Covered CA but it seems like I'm not eligible because my annual income is too high. I was also quite confused by the "qualifying events". It seems like my last one was leaving my job back in January, which was more than 60 days ago, and so now most plans won't let me buy them.

I would like to know if there are any options for my situation, which I realise is a pretty uncommon combination of circumstances. The best idea I had was to see if I could get some travel insurance for the whole 3 months, but I thought that might not work since I'm a US resident.

I have no pre-existing conditions and rarely visit the doctor so I'm really just looking for a very basic plan so I don't go bankrupt if I need to go to hospital.

  • 3
    "I looked at Covered CA but it seems like I'm not eligible because my annual income is too high." You an buy a health insurance plan from Covered CA, which is California's ACA marketplace, no matter how high your income is. You might not qualify for the subsidy (premium tax credit), which is only for people with income between 100-400% of poverty level. – user102008 Jun 16 at 19:39
  • There might also be confusion because the Covered CA website is also used to apply for Medi-Cal, California's Medicaid, which is separate from ACA marketplace plans, but they use the same website to apply for it. Medi-Cal is only for people with incomes below 133% of poverty level or so. Since right now is not in an ACA marketplace open enrollment period, but Medi-Cal can be enrolled all year, they might be assuming that you are applying for Medi-Cal, which your income is too high to qualify for. – user102008 Jun 16 at 19:41
  • The fact that you only need coverage for three months is irrelevant. Why did you wait until July to be concerned about this? – quid Jul 16 at 7:58

I wasn't sure what the right SE site to post this on was, but it seems like there's a good answer over on Travel: https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/776/long-term-travel-what-insurances-can-should-i-get/46751#46751

In general I'm now looking at companies offering international travel health insurance like https://www.worldnomads.com/

  • You need COBRA insurance. Speak to your former employer's HR department. (They should have mailed you something about it.) – RonJohn Jul 16 at 5:12
  • If it has been more than 60 days the qualified event window has elapsed for COBRA extension eligibility. – quid Jul 16 at 7:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.