I live in Florida and I work remotely to a New York office and I am being paid thru their payroll not 1099. The employer has been deducting NY state tax and I know Florida does not have state tax.

I live and work here at Florida. How do I get a refund of all the NY state taxes that the employer have deducted from my payroll? What forms do I need to fill out in order to get a refund? Thank you for your help.

1 Answer 1


My understanding is that you'll have to file a non-residential tax return in NY. I'm not sure what that would mean in terms of tax liability but according to this article you might end up paying more taxes than if you had the same job in Florida.

I recommend talking to a tax professional to see what rules apply in your specific case.

  • 1
    That article seems to be about people who tele-commute and work in the office, not people who exclusively tele-commute. Commented May 15, 2019 at 22:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .