I am working in Toronto, Canada under Work permit. My family is living outside Canada. I am fully taking care of their expenses.

Can I get any income tax benefits for the money I am sending to them?

PS: I am aware of the tax benefits and child care benefits if the family is also living in Canada.


Family in this context - Wife and 2 kids.

  • Define 'Family' - are these children, parents, cousins? Are any of them disabled? It seems likely there will be no support for what you are doing, but good to get the details straight. – Grade 'Eh' Bacon Jul 4 '19 at 18:32
  • Okay for a spouse and children, the definition of whether they depend on you seems to depend on whether they have "enough income or assistance for a reasonable standard of living in the country where they live". Do they truly depend on you for support, or would this be considered an additional 'gift' to them? – Grade 'Eh' Bacon Jul 4 '19 at 18:56
  • They have zero income and completely dependent on me. – NiceGuy Jul 4 '19 at 18:57
  • Not directly but you can claim the tax credit on 303. cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it513r/it513r-e.pdf I'm not sure about med. expenses, but maybe. – brian Jul 4 '19 at 20:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.