Similar to another question about a citizen's legal obligations, which I found very informative, I would like to ask a the same but for landlords. I would also like to expand the scope beyond just legal obligations.

Who do I need to inform or pay or register with in the U.K. as a landlord? Are there other ethical (but not necessarily strictly legal) obligations that I have as a landlord?

  • If the property is leasehold (you don't own the land the property is on, common in appartments) then pay the annual leasehold charge and renew the lease prior to its expiry.
  • If the property is managed by a management company (common in appartment blocks) then pay the annual management fee.
  • If the property is being let to multiple tenants then register with the local council as an HMO (houses in multiple occupancy).
  • While not generally legally required, it would be recommended/best practice to purchase landlord's insurance which also covers things like compliance imdenification.
  • Notify insurance and mortgage companies about major changes to the property (e.g. change of tenant or major renovations).
  • Service gas boilers annually.
  • Register deposit in authorised deposit protection scheme within 28 (not 100% of that) days of receiving it.
  • Provide tenant with EPC certificate, gas safety certificate and deposit protection information within 1 month of moving in.
  • Complete a tax self assessment if icome reaches certain levels: https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax.
  • Note that: (1) the points about leasehold properties are true, but apply to the leaseholder whether or not they are a landlord. (2) In practice, you need to renew any lease decades before it expires, otherwise it is impossible to acquire a mortgage, and will greatly reduce the value of the lease. (3) "Landlord's" insurance is a vague term. If you are the freeholder, any mortgage will require buildings insurance. Rent guarantee & legal insurance is strongly recommended for landlords. (4) It is not required to notify your insurer or mortgage provider on change of tenants. – Steve Melnikoff May 7 '19 at 8:32
  • (5) The full list of documents that must be supplied to a tenant is listed in the official How to Rent document - which must also be supplied. (6) It is worth doing a tax return even if you make a loss, as property losses can be carried forward into future tax years. – Steve Melnikoff May 7 '19 at 8:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.