My bank just got bought by a bank in another state. Does this mean my interest earnings are going to get reported in that other state and potentially require me to file tax returns in the other state?

How is this problem handled by big banks with branches in many states?

  • 1
    Let that sink in for a moment... That bank has enough money to buy another bank.
    – Malekai
    Commented Apr 26, 2019 at 12:09

3 Answers 3


No. You owe/pay taxes based on your residency. The physical location of the entity paying you isn't relevant whether it's earned income or interest income.

There are some exceptions to this on an international basis. And, some states are aggressive in their methods of establishing residency but most involve you being physically present in the state over some time period.

  • 10
    "The physical location of the entity paying you isn't relevant whether it's earned income or interest income." Not completely true. Many states tax income based on where income is earned rather than residency. Off the top of my head, working in NYC but living in NJ leads to income tax being charged by both (with NJ offering credits based on tax payed to NY), and working in Oregon while living in income-tax-free Washington will still lead to paying income tax to Oregon. Commented Apr 24, 2019 at 20:47
  • 7
    In (e.g.) UK or New Zealand, you generally don't need to do a tax return at all, and tax is constant over the whole country. It's simlar throughout the EU too. The US system seems (to outsiders) to be excessively complex and burdensome on taxpayers, particularly low-income ones. However I think we're digressing a bit from the original question Commented Apr 25, 2019 at 1:37
  • 5
    @Steve, once the EU starts assessing an income tax, it will be the same as the U.S. (Don’t think it can’t happen; the U.S. didn’t have an income tax for the first 120 years or so (not counting a brief period in the mid 19th century), so it’s only a matter of time for the EU.)
    – prl
    Commented Apr 25, 2019 at 4:42
  • 9
    @SteveShipway "It's simlar throughout the EU" - Not if you consider the EU as the equivalent of the USA and Germany as the equivalent of California it isn't. Commented Apr 25, 2019 at 10:38
  • 9
    @quid What's really crazy is that the USA could easily have an "automatic" PAYE system where most of the non-self-employed citizens would no longer need to file tax returns, like the rest of the world does - but the Accountancy companies keep lobbying to prevent it, because they would lose so much money and business by people no longer balking at all that faff. (Also, if your parents are US citizens who emigrated abroad before you were born, you are considered a US citizen - so have to pay US income tax and file a tax return even if you have never been there or worked for a US company) Commented Apr 25, 2019 at 11:49

Banks anywhere in the US report the interest you earn in a 1099-INT. You then report this income in your federal return, and in your home state return, if your state requires you to file.

I believe what you're alluding to is when you earn wages in multiple states (which would come in a W2 form). Only then you might need to file reports in multiple states.


If the bank is doing business in your home state and ofering bank accounts to residents of your home state, then there is no question that the interest they pay you is taxable in your home state and nowhere else.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .