I get the following error while filing married filing jointly taxes in California via TaxAct (electronically, paperless):

Rule Number: F540/NR/NRS/2EZ-230 Rule Number Description: There is an error with the Prior Year California Adjusted Gross Income amount provided. The Spouse/RDP on this return is ineligible to participate in the Self-Select PIN program. FTB's records indicate the Spouse/RDP did not file a prior year individual income tax return and does not have a shared secret amount. You can still e-file by signing Form 8453-OL. During the Filing Step, you will need to select the Signature Option instead of the Paperless Option. Before you submit your return again, you will be asked to print Form 8453-OL. Sign this form and keep it with your records for at least 4 years.

Some additional information:

  • successfully filed Federal/State taxes last year when I had H1B, spouse ITIN
  • both received green cards this year and therefore spouse got SSN, so now spouse uses it
  • first attempt to file both federal/state tax (when I used the AGI from the previous tax return + Electronic Filing PIN) failed due to information entered in the 'Filing' step for the secondary taxpayer (second person listed on return) does not match the IRS database: Prior year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or prior year PIN. As per various suggestions, I found that in this case I need to enter 0 in AGI for the spouse.
  • this helped with Federal tax (accepted) but still fails for state tax (get the abovementioned error)

If I understood correctly, I should

notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined. Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available. The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.

As the time is very limited, the only option I have is to come to IRS office on Monday, void ITIN and change to SSN and file only state tax in person.

Of course I would rather do this electronically or at least file the taxes now and do the change later. Is the solution I mentioned my only option or have I misunderstood something?

P.S. sorry for throw-away account. Long time user, but do not want to show semi-personal information.

  • Doubt the IRS fix would go through quickly enough to allow CA return to e-file properly. I'd just paper file and sort out the SSN/ITIN confusion later. – Hart CO Apr 13 '19 at 12:52
  • You can use CalFile at FTB site, instead of TaxAct. It does not ask for the last year's AGI. Notifying IRS is not a bad idea, but I don't think it affects filing state taxes. – void_ptr Apr 13 '19 at 19:42
  • @void_ptr CalFile at FTB is ftb.ca.gov/online/calfile/index.asp ? – failed_taxpayer Apr 13 '19 at 22:02
  • @failed_taxpayer Yes, that's it. Worked for me. – void_ptr Apr 14 '19 at 1:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.