Can a nonresident alien (Form 1040-NR-EZ) claim the NY State standard deduction or does he/she need to claim itemized deduction (like on the federal return)?

1 Answer 1


Yes, a nonresident alien is able to claim either the NY Standard deduction for claim itemized deductions. From p.49 of Instructions for Form IT-203 (Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return) for 2018:

Also, if you filed federal Form 1040NR you should claim the New York deduction (itemized or standard) that is more advantageous to you.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .