In one of my W-2 forms my first name has been mispelled by a character. However, all other information is correct including my SSN. Do I still request a W-2c from my employer or can I go ahead and file my taxes using the W-2 form with my first name mispelled.

Thank you


From the instructions for Form W-2 (and W-2c):

Correcting an employee's name and/or SSN only.

If you are correcting only an employee's name and/or SSN, complete Form W-2c boxes d through i. Do not complete boxes 1 through 20. Advise your employee to correct the SSN and/or name on his or her original Form W-2.

That implies that a name-only error warrants a W-2c. The part about "advise the employee to correct the SSN and/or name on his or her original Form W-2" implies that you don't need to wait for the W-2c before you can file. Rather, you can correct the name error yourself on your original W-2 and use that when you file. As long as the SSN is correct, everything should match up.


  • Request a W2-c from your employer.
  • Correct your name on your original W-2.
  • File with the corrected original if the W2-c doesn't arrive in time.

The advice I've seen most commonly is to go ahead and file, but request a corrected W-2 for your records (and so it's right next time). An obvious name typo on a W-2 shouldn't stop your return from being accepted.

In most tax software you can't replicate the name typo as it pre-fills the name, don't worry about it not matching the incorrect W-2, use your correct name.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.