I filed a 1040 a few weeks ago and, per that form, was due a refund. I put in the routing information for my bank information to receive the refund deposit, but I haven't received it yet.

I just received a K-1 and am filing an amendment to my return, a 1040X. Now, per the 1040X, I owe the government money. Do I write them a check for the amount I owe plus the original refund? Or just the amount I owe?

To use fake concrete numbers, let's say my original refund was $1000 and now, per the amendment, I owe $1500. Do I write a check for $2500 or $1500? I have not yet received the refund, but it could be sent before my amended return is processed. Since it's an electronic refund I can't just not cash the check.

  • Was your original return accepted and the refund is pending? – Hart CO Apr 9 '19 at 22:38
  • It hasn't been returned with amendments, if that's what you mean. Or at least that's what has happened in the past when there were errors (I forgot to sign it once) or they disagreed with my math. It's also only been two weeks. – Roddy of the Frozen Peas Apr 9 '19 at 22:39
  • Potential duplicate: money.stackexchange.com/questions/78968/… – Hart CO Apr 9 '19 at 22:41
  • So I should assume that the refund has been paid out or will be paid out? If I had already received the money I wouldn't be confused and I'd just pay the refund amount plus the amount I owe. But I haven't been paid the refund (yet). – Roddy of the Frozen Peas Apr 9 '19 at 22:42
  • 2
    You might want to check refund status to confirm your return was accepted, but you should typically treat it as if the refund has been paid out. However, per the answer on that similar question, the calculation on the 1040x takes into account original refund/amount owed. irs.gov/refunds – Hart CO Apr 9 '19 at 22:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.