I am now physically located outside the USA (in India) and am not a student, but have financial assets in the USA generating income. I purchased these assets while I was in the USA and continued to trade later after I left the USA. I know I have to fill out 1040 NR or 1040 NR-EZ, and I was hoping to be able to use the standard deduction but I see no provision for using it on the form. Can I use standard deduction given that I am/was not a student in the tax year in question? Does the India-USA tax treaty still allow me to take the standard deduction?

1 Answer 1



The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 reduced Personal Exemption to $0 since 2018 Tax Year and reduced Standard Deductions to $0 (for nonresident) and $12,000+ (for resident Student or Apprentice/Trainee from India; Article 21 of the Treaty).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.