Am I filing the correct forms with my 1040 to include my self-employment tax? Sole-proprietor with less than $5000 business expenses and profit less than $9000.

  • 1040
  • Schedule 1
  • Schedule 4
  • Schedule C-EZ
  • Schedule SE Self-Employment Tax - taxpayer
  • Schedule SE Self-Employment Tax Part B - taxpayer
  • You might also want the form (I think it's 8829) for business use of your home. Read the instructions to see if you qualify. If so, it can be a good deduction.
    – jamesqf
    Mar 29, 2019 at 19:04

1 Answer 1


That basically looks right.

  • Form 1040 is the main tax return form.
  • Schedule C-EZ has the revenue, expenses, and net profit from your business. Since your expenses were less than $5000, you can use C-EZ instead of the full Schedule C (assuming you also meet all the other C-EZ requirements).
  • Schedule 1 is used to include the net profit from C-EZ into Form 1040.
  • Schedule SE is for the self-employment tax. Section A is the "short schedule" and Section B is the "long schedule." You need to look at the flowchart at the beginning of SE to determine which one you need to complete.
  • Schedule 4 brings the self-employment tax from SE into Form 1040.

Of course, depending on your personal tax situation, there may be other forms you will also need to include with your tax return.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.