My US visa expires next year and I have about 50k in savings that I want to invest for a year. I like Marcus by Goldmansachs plan. They seem to offer 3.1% on 5-year deposit. But how do I withdraw the money from the plan if I am no longer in US? I might not even have a bank account in US then.

PS: the 1 year plan of Marcus offers 2.75%. After taxes I am assuming it will be 1.92%(30% tax), which is less than the inflation rate in US(https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/inflation-cpi) 2.25%.

With the 5 year plan, I am a tad bit closer at beating inflation at 2.17% after taxes.

  • 3
    Are you planning on coming back? If not, why invest in the US? Not trying to be anti-patriotic but couldn't you reinvest your money in banks in your home country? I don't know the rates in your home country but I'd assume it'd be better than the US (since US rates are comparatively lower than other countries).
    – robjob27
    Mar 29, 2019 at 4:50
  • So my employer might move me to London or Toronto when my Visa expires. After I been outside the US for a year, I have the option of coming back on an L1 visa. That is why I am looking at US's inflation rate. In my home country, the inflation is way off the charts lol.
    – Aditya
    Mar 29, 2019 at 5:28
  • This is rather funny. Do you know that a foreign citizen investment in USA stock capital gains is tax-free? If you hold any USA niche market stock (that other country cannot live without) or Berkshire-hathaway-B, the rebound after the bear is way better than your risk-averse bond investment.
    – mootmoot
    Aug 26, 2019 at 8:26
  • 1
    " They seem to offer 3.1% on 5-year deposit. " - nice. Now start searching. I get 12% on my conservative fixed term deposits.
    – TomTom
    Dec 18, 2020 at 9:06
  • I would choose either between 1. Stocks (10% return on investment on average during the past 100 years in the US) or 2. Real Estate (10% on average historically but with more fees like maintenance/repairs/property tax) Dec 18, 2020 at 13:42

1 Answer 1


Most countries require residency to hold a financial account. Otherwise the country is an offshore country.

A non-resident might hold a U.S. account as a U.S. state-organized LLC company that is IRS taxed as a C-corporation.

  • 1
    "Most countries require residency to hold a financial account." . NO. Definitely not. I maintain financial accounts in multiple countries - mostly because of financial interest (i.e. collecting rent on multiple rental properties). This, though is NOT residence. And I am not sure you would call germany an offshore country.
    – TomTom
    Dec 18, 2020 at 14:00
  • 1
    And I knew an american once that had some houses in the US and he was living in germany for multiple years and STILL had accounts in the USA. Again, no residency.
    – TomTom
    Dec 18, 2020 at 14:01
  • Well here is one link: thunfinancial.com/home/… . Other links could explain what off-shore banking is.
    – S Spring
    Dec 18, 2020 at 16:00
  • I'm live in the U.S and am a U.S. citizen. I can't hold a UK bank account except in an off-shore jurisdiction such as Isle of Man or the Channel Islands. Well, unless I lie on the banking application. For investment in the U.S. from a foreign country, there is no off-shore jurisdiction. The foreign investor could form a U.S. LLC company, with a registered agent, and then invest in the U.S.
    – S Spring
    Dec 18, 2020 at 16:14
  • 1
    Yes. And that is because many do not want to deal with US citizens because your jurisdictions tries to force every other country to ALSO follow US laws when you have US customers. Result? Thanks, we do not deal with you. But the question is about a FOREIGNER (not US citizen) leaving the US for some time, so - totally different.
    – TomTom
    Dec 18, 2020 at 22:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .