I live in NJ and for tax purposes, I am a full year resident of NJ. In the NJwebfile site, I cannot find any option to report capital gains on my stock sales. Also in the instructions, I could not find anything relevant either. Does this mean, I don't have to report gains on my stock sales?

  • 1
    Yes, you need to pay taxes on all your income in the state in which you are a resident state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit9.shtml
    – nikhil
    Mar 24, 2019 at 0:34
  • 1
    Hmm, I found that link too, but it doesn't specify where exactly I need to report capital gains from stock transactions. Is "Net Gains or Income From Disposition of Property in the New Jersey Income Tax return" worksheet the place where I need to report my stock related capital gains?
    – Aditya
    Mar 24, 2019 at 0:47

1 Answer 1


According to the NJ-1040 instructions:

Line 19 – Net Gains or Income From Disposition of Property

Complete Schedule NJ-DOP and enter the amount from Line 4. If the amount on Line 4 is a loss, make no entry on Line 19.

Do not include on Schedule NJ-DOP:

  • Gains/losses from the disposition of property owned by a sole proprietorship, a partnership, or an S corporation. Report on Schedule NJ-BUS-1.
  • Gains/losses from the disposition of property owned by an estate or trust (other than a grantor trust). Report on Line 26

Then directly below that part they discuss how to complete the Schedule NJ-DOP:

Line 1: List of Transactions

List any New Jersey taxable transaction(s) as reported on your federal Schedule D, indicating the gain or loss for each transaction in Column f. In listing the gain or loss on disposition of rental property, you must take into consideration the New Jersey adjustment from Worksheet GIT-DEP, Part 1, line 6.

it looks like most of the information for this schedule NJ-DOP is from Federal schedule D.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .