I and my spouse are filling a separate 1040NR.

We have both our name on a property that we rent.

How do we fill the Schedule E if the income is shared between partners?

Let say for example that we do 50/50, do we divide all the amounts by 2 on the Schedule E?

Thank you

1 Answer 1


Yes, it should be handled pretty much the same as if you were unrelated. The Schedule E has a place to indicate you are half owner. That said, there are rules that prevent you from filing separately to take advantage of a loss for which your combined income would be too high to deduct. Read the instructions carefully.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .