Mostly valid for Americans living abroad.

I have income that qualifies as both Passive and Treaty (triple taxation) and would appreciate any advice as to whether I can claim both credits.

The background: I am a US citizen living in the Netherlands, and have ETFs domiciled in the US. Some of these ETFs invest in non-US companies (e.g., IXUS). There are three forms of taxation on the non-US ETFs: the US taxes the income at 20% or more; the Netherlands taxes (there is a tax treaty that limits US tax to 15%); and other foreign countries tax (which shows up on my 1099-DIV).

  • I know how to credit the amount taxed over 15% in the US (form 1116 Certain income re-sourced by treaty)

  • I know how to credit the amount taxed on 1099-DIV (form 1116 Passive income)

  • I don't know how to credit both at once, as I suspect it is not ok to claim the same income on two different 1116 forms.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers, Sean

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.