I'm currently studying in PA on F-1 visa and have earned my only income last year from CA (internship while on CPT). I understand I should file state tax with CA as a nonresident. But I'm confused with my residency status at PA. I learned that PA treats foreigners the same as citizens for tax purpose, and students should consider their parents for their state residency. But since I'm a nonresident alien, does this mean I should consider my home country to be my permanent residence? As a result, no state tax form needs to be filed with PA?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.