I am a US citizen and work in the Netherlands as an employee for a Dutch company.

In the Netherlands, the retirement pension system is based on three pillars:

  1. the public pension scheme, akin to the US Social Security system;

  2. shared employee/employer tax-efficient private pension schemes;

  3. private pension plans one can buy for themselves.

My employer has a plan of type 2 in place ; we each contribute roughly 50% of the monthly contribution.

It's now time to do taxes in the USA for year 2018 and I don't know how to handle the money I put into the plan (I did not take any distribution in 2018, btw).

  1. Are plans like these considered Section 402 compliant?
  2. I understand the employer's contribution counts as (deferred) income, so I will add it to my regular (wage) gross income. But can I deduct my contribution to the plan?
  3. Are interest and dividends generated in the fund taxable in my 2018 return?
  4. Do I need to do anything special in terms of forms that I would not otherwise need to do if this was a standard US IRA or 401.1k plan? What about form 3250?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.