I am a resident of New York for tax purposes, but conducted a small amount of freelance work with a company based in California in 2018.

They issued payment via direct deposit and my bank information includes my New York address – do I need to file CA taxes in addition to NY taxes for this?


To my knowledge, if this is freelance income (i.e. no additional benefits aside from the payment for services rendered) and you're below the filing threshold (see links below), no you don't need to file a CA tax return. Assuming that you meet the requirements though, you'd be looking for Form 540NR.

References: CA Non-Resident Filing Requirements California Non-Resident Filing Thresholds

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.