My total income for this tax year is £5600 from share dividends and £6000 from rental income, i.e., £11600 should I be filling out a tax return or some such. Or am I one of the people who is completely removed from the tax system? I have no other income and I am confused. Should I be making a disclosure?

  • I assume you're in the UK given the £ symbols. Just to check, are you saying you don't have any other income at all, i.e. no employment income? Feb 24, 2019 at 17:35
  • Hi Yes I guess ive kind of dropped out for the past 3 years so yes thats the income I have savings i`m 55 and always been paye up till then thanks.
    – stevie b
    Feb 24, 2019 at 17:45

1 Answer 1


The gov.uk site includes a brief test to check if you need to send a self-assessment tax return.

According to the information you have provided, you do need to send a return.

This issue appears to be that you have over GBP2,500 of rental income from a property you own.

Your gross income is only GBP100 over the current annual income tax allowance, so it is unlikely you will have to pay more than a few quid.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.