I did not receive a 1099K from Coinbase. Should I report capital losses?


Yes, you'll file Schedule D showing your capital gain/loss and provide the trade details on Form 8949. The 1099-K is only required to be furnished if certain conditions are met ($20,000 in payments and at least 200 transactions), it's primarily for the IRS to make sure retailers report their sales accurately, not really related to capital gains but Coinbase does issue them because they are acting as a third-party payment processor.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.