We're in the EU (EU passports) and planning on spending the next couple years traveling. Income is coming through a company I have set in a country I was never a resident of.

The only taxes I'm normally liable for is my personal income, at my place of residence.

During the travel period, we will not stay longer than 2-3 month in a specific country, therefore we don't establish tax residence in any of them.

In that situation, can I avoid paying income tax during that time?

  • 4
  • 7
    I think in general, most jurisdictions consider that once you have established residency, residency is maintained by not establishing a residency elsewhere, not by continued presence. – chepner Feb 16 '19 at 19:00


All tax treaties (which allow personal/investment income paid in one country to get shifted to another country) require you to claim (at least in your mind; paperwork might not be needed) an official country of residence for each piece of income. So, you will then need to file taxes for at least one claimed country. If you claim multiple countries, you probably can use foreign tax credits to prevent double-taxation, but your total taxes are probably minimized claiming just one country for all income.

  • so, if I understand properly, I need to elect where my tax residence is. But if I don't spend a minimum of time in a place, I can't establish a residence there since I wouldn't be able to get a tax id in that location. How can that work then? – Thomas Feb 16 '19 at 21:33
  • 1
    As @chepner commented, you probably should just stick with the country you last filed taxes with. If you really can't get a different tax ID, it seems you have no other option. – bobuhito Feb 16 '19 at 23:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.